Monday, January 26, 2009

Torturing the Kids... a.k.a. Walking to the Bus Stop

When we head out for our morning walk to the bus stop it is still dark outside and I have to convince the children that it is in fact morning time- which takes quite a bit of persuasion.
We like to feed our sheep on the way- he likes to come and greet us. He was never very friendly before... then he lost his harem and now he is very affectionate- poor lonely guy. We take our dog, Hoku, along. She loves to come and she whines somthing awful when the kids leave on the bus. She puts on quite the show of distress and all the kids on the bus laugh.
There are some beautiful things to see along the way but it is too dark to really see through the camera. I love this giant rock that the roots of a Banyan tree are growing around and embracing.

Sometimes we grab a snack from the neighbors' fallem fruit on the side of the road.


They complain the whole time that it is too far and too long and too hard. But I think it will build endurance and good health for them- so I am making them do it... with me because I feel like I need the walk to strengthen my lungs and sweat out bad stuff.
One day they'll thank me when they get to be old men who can say
"I had to walk a mile to the bus stop every day when I was a kid"
(They will probably add "through the snow" like all the other old-timers do)

No comments:

Post a Comment